What interested NPQ readers in 2020? The following list below features 10 of the year’s most-read articles. This is not a strict “top 10,” because we wanted a broader range of articles than that would allow, but all 10 articles listed below are among the 20 most-read original feature articles NPQ published last year—a year that tested so many of us in ways we could have scarcely anticipated 12 months ago.
Not surprisingly, two themes rose to the top—the response to the pandemic and the national (indeed, global) uprising against anti-Black racism. There is a range within the articles, though. Among the racial justice articles, some focus on philanthropy, others on nonprofits, and others on actions individuals can take. With respect to the pandemic, themes range from policy to human resources to financial planning. Last but not least, our map to the nonprofit economy provides a valuable snapshot of the sector just before the pandemic came our way.
As you take a look back at some of the articles below, we cannot overstate how much we appreciate your readership and patronage of our work this past year. Always, we love to hear from you about what you think we should cover next. In the meantime, we hope you find these articles challenging, informative, engaging, and enjoyable to read.
- Tim Delaney, “How Nonprofits Can Utilize the New Federal Laws Dealing with COVID-19,” March 26, 2020.
- Dax-Devlon Ross, “A Letter to My White Male Friends of a Certain Age,” June 5, 2020.
- Anastasia Reesa Tomkin, “How White People Conquered the Nonprofit Industry,” May 26, 2020.
- Lori Villarosa, “COVID-19: Using a Racial Justice Lens Now to Transform Our Future,” March 30, 2020.
- Will Cordery, “Dear Philanthropy: These Are the Fires of Anti-Black Racism,” June 1, 2020.
- Steve Zimmerman, “Sustainability to Survivability: 5 Nonprofit Finance Must-Do’s in the Time of COVID,” March 19, 2020.
- Jeanne Bell and Steve Dubb, “It’s Different This Time: Handling Nonprofit Staff Cuts under COVID-19,” April 1, 2020.
- Dr. Danielle Moss Lee, “Black Women in Nonprofits Matter,” July 8, 2020.
- Ruth McCambridge, “A Growing Group of Foundations Pledge No ‘Business as Usual’ with COVID-19,” March 20, 2020.
- Nonprofit Quarterly (Jon Pratt and Kari Aanestad), “An NPQ Exclusive: The 2020 Map of the Nonprofit Economy, Third Edition,” February 24, 2020.
Originally published by Non Profit News | Nonprofit Quarterly: Source