How to become a virtual food bank volunteer.
Excerpts taken from Feeding America article written by: by Ash Slupski
As a non-profit organization, the Central Pennsylvania Food Bank relies on volunteers to fulfill our vision that no one should be hungry. Last year, more than 7,700 volunteers (working individually and as part of group efforts) donated 91,000 hours of their time to help their neighbors in need.
We still welcome volunteers and all packing is now taking place at a larger, offsite center in Harrisburg to facilitate social distancing and safety. Volunteers will be directed to this unpublicized location when they are assigned a shift. Volunteers must sign-up through the website.
But for those who may prefer to help from the comfort of your home, becoming a virtual volunteer is a great way to give your time and talent where food banks need it most. All you’ll need is an internet connection and your passion.
Here are some of the virtual volunteer opportunities that may be available with your local food bank or that you can suggest to your food bank’s volunteer contact:
1. *Most Encouraged*: Start a virtual food drive or online fundraiser
Consider, “volunteering” to start a virtual food drive. A Virtual food drive allows you to help many more of your neighbors in need by raising funds for the Central Pennsylvania Food Bank. The Food Bank can purchase food in bulk quantities at less-than-wholesale prices including fresh fruits, vegetables, dairy and center-of-the-plate proteins which can’t be donated in a traditional food drive. The $1 that you might spend on one can of green beans can provide 6 full meals through a virtual food drive. It is a simple and immediate way to help end hunger in central Pennsylvania. Start one today!
2. Get on social
You can help spread the word about food assistance in your area or ways your family and friends can give back to the Central Pennsylvania Food Bank simply by following us and sharing our posts. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
3. Fight for the programs that help end hunger
Our neighbors need more support than what we can provide on our own. Help us build a powerful movement. Together, government, employers, communities, neighbors, and others can address the root causes of food insecurity to ensure that every family has access to adequate food and nutrition by becoming a digital advocate. Sign up today!
Virtual volunteering is a great way to give back in a time of social distancing.
Other Ways to Give Back
- Join our Apple Core Community, our monthly giving program. Your monthly gift allows us to plan more effectively because we know, day in and day out, we can rely on your support. donating today.
- Become an Apple Seed Legacy Society member, a special group of friends who have made a commitment to the Central Pennsylvania Food Bank through a gift in their will or estate plans. These members want their generous efforts to continue for many years to come. Find out more.
- Support our cause while you shop. Find out what companies are hosting a giving event where you can give back simply by buying a product, like Amazon Smile. View Upcoming Event.
- Workplace giving programs offer employees the opportunity to contribute by having designated amounts deducted from their paychecks. Many companies also offer a matching gift. Talk to your HR Department.
Originally published by the Central Pennsylvania Food Bank: Source